Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Vacation Part 3

Finally, I'm finished. This is the last film I saw while I was on vacation. Technically it's a bunch of films but I'm counting them as one since I watched them all in one sitting. These were the Oscar nominated live action films. And this time, I dragged some unlucky bastard along, my boyfriend. Poor guy was staying with me during our time off and on the last day I invited him to yet another movie outing with me. Honestly, I was going with or without him so it's not like I forced him. He came along voluntarily (for the most part).



We went to the Charles theater and sat in the same area that I did when I went to go see the animated films. First up was Sing (English title). It's about a choir in a school that's covering up a big secret. This is the film that ended up winning but I don't think it was the best one. It's definitely a feel good, stick it to the man kind of film. The child actors were great and I really believed the story. Next was Silent Nights. It follows a couple dealing with immigration, racism, and a bunch of other issues. My boyfriend and I both thought this movie was overly sappy and melodramatic. It hits you over the head with the message of the film- We're all the same; forgiveness will set you free; blah blah blah. I was happy when it was over since it felt like it was dragging. After this snooze fest, Timecode played. This was my favorite one by far. It's about two security guards who share a secret passion. i don't wanna give away what the passion is but it's very unexpected and beautifully portrayed. This should be the only one you try and see. It's definitely worth it. Second to last is Enemies Within (English title). This film is the one that made me cry. It's a relevant issue for anyone who watches it, even though it's filmed in France. It's an interview that a man goes on to finalize his citizenship that turns into an interrogation. It made me feel upset and frustrated to see this man painted into a corner. I was beyond relieved to see that the last film was a lighthearted one. The Railroad Lady (English title) was such a great film. It was my boyfriend's favorite to win the Oscar. The woman waves a flag every time the train goes by her house and she starts a correspondence with one of the travelers on the train. It ends on a high note and just put a huge smile on my face. It's also based on a true story which makes it even cuter.



And that's that. My cinema adventures for my birthday vacation. I have seen some films since then so I'll be sure to write about those soon.




poster of my favorite live action short film 

No comments:

Post a Comment