Saturday, March 18, 2017

Double Feature

Lately, I've been getting into the habit of two things:

1- Seeing two movies in one day.
2- Seeing the same film with different people on separate outings.

It's crazy how much a film can change when you factor in how you see it with. Friends, family, significant others. These are people who can take a cinematic experience and make you question whether or not you're actually seeing the same film as before. I saw Get Out with Kelly for a matinee movie date. After we saw Split. I also saw Get Out a week later with my boyfriend after work.

Outing with Kellz

We are the queens of movie matinee. "The earlier, the better", is what we say. That's mostly because of the cheap prices ($5) and for an empty theater. I'm not a fan of packed movie seats so morning showings are my favorites. We saw Get Out first, opening day. It was kinda hilarious. I'm glad it played more like a thriller than a true horror film because I'm a wuss who hates being frightened, even when I'm seeking to be scared. Jordan Peele had a great debut film and I'm happy to see anything that he directs in the future. After the movie, we were eager for more. That's to say, we were bored and had nothing better to do. So I treated us to afternoon tickets for Split. Afternoon tickets can be a mixed bag, not quite as cheap as matinee but not full price. I didn't see M. Night Shymalan's last film so I had no high hopes for this one. Thankfully, I really liked it. James McAvoy completely carries the film on his back. The other actors were fine but he's the blatant talent that makes the film interesting. The unique tie-in with another of his earlier films was a delicious Easter egg. If Shymalan expanded on that idea, I'd be on board for it. All movied out, we emerged into the light of day, hissing at the sun. I rushed home to decompress and the retreat into the shaded living room of my apartment.

Date Night with BF

We had always planned to see Get Out together. Just because I had already seen it was not stopping me from following through with our plans. We decided to go after work, for a 7 o'clock showing. The theater was fucking packed. Luckily, we got there early enough to grab two end seats together, high up enough so our necks weren't at a 90 degree angle the entire time. We bought actual food, buffalo wings and chicken tenders, and sat back for the movie to start. I had hyped it up a bit for him so he had very high expectations. He was not disappointed. We laughed, cringed, and cheered right along with the crowd. This was one of the rare occasions where standard seating and a sold out theater worked at our advantage. Since I had already seen it before, I could zone out and listen to other people's reactions. That made the film even better. We all clapped at the end and we left the theater in a tizzy. All we could talk about was the movie. It was definitely a good night for us.





No comments:

Post a Comment