Friday, January 27, 2017

XXX: Return of the Unwanted Franchise

I'd like to confess something. I've never seen any of the XXX films before. Not the original and not the sequel with Ice Cube. They couldn't even get Vin Diesel back for that one but he's back now. "Better late than never" goes the saying. I think the most surprising thing about this film is not that is exists, but that I really enjoyed it. It's the perfect blend of mindless action and ridiculous plot.

My boyfriend had the choice of the theater while I had to choose which movie we saw. My first choice was Split but the tickets prices made me gasp so Xander Cage it was. We went after work and we were the first ones in the theater. I hoped that we would be the only ones there but no such luck. A group of teens came in, along with a few single individuals and other twosomes. Since the film had been out for a while, we were in a smaller theater so it felt a bit crowded. 7:00 rolls around and it's the opening credits. No trailers, no dimming of the lights, no wait. I was a little confused at first but went with it. I didn't want to sit through 15 mins of trailers anyway.

Samuel L. Jackson (who is in everything, I swear) starts off the film with his death. The government brings Xander back into the game because he's the only person who can solve the mystery of who's responsible for dropping satellites out of the sky (the explosion is what killed Jackson). He in turn brings in his team of bad asses and they're off to find the bad guys. SPOILER ALERT, the bad guys are also XXX agents and have broken off to do their own thing. The ring leader is Donnie Yen, who I have recently fallen in love with. He's easily one of the better parts of the movie. Which is why he'll be on the trailer in this blog.

There's not much to say about the movie itself. People got beat up, shit blew up, Vin Diesel got laid multiple times. I laughed the whole time, even when I wasn't supposed to. By the time the credits rolled, I had a semi permanent smile on my face. If this movie makes enough money to warrant a sequel, I'd definitely go see it.



No comments:

Post a Comment