Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Dramatic Drama

Fences

After the horrible experience that was The Bye Bye Man, I was in desperate need of a great film. I've been wanting and waiting to see Fences since it was in its limited release. I found excuse after excuse not to go, saying it'll still be in theaters once I get around to it. It's obviously got one foot out of the door because the theater only had two showing, 10 am and 10 pm. My friend (Everybody say hello to Kelly), picked the morning showing because matinee prices (DUH). Again, I'm the first one to arrive. So much so, that the theater wasn't even open yet. The doors stay locked until 9:30. It was a rat's race to get in line. I was paying cash so no quick tickets from the kiosk for me.

I get the ticket and do some rule breaking that would make you blush. I stuck out to the Starbucks next door to get food and bring it back to the theater. I know, I'm a bad ass rebel. Deal with it. Once I've hidden the goods, I pick our seats and wait patiently. Kelly shows up right before the trailers. (I've seen them all before except the new trailer for XXX: Return of Xander Cage. It was an action packed hot mess that I cannot wait to see.)

Lights go out and the movie starts. From the very first line of dialogue, it's obvious to me it was adapted from a play. The inflections and delivery gave me a glimpse of what the actors' performances were like on stage. It's captivating. Denzel Washington and Viola Davis were just...awesome. I could wax poetic about them for this whole post but I'll keep it to awesome. Davis was the star for me though. The scene when she finally lets Washington have it should secure her every award she has and will be nominated for. It's that good, definitely gave me chills and brought me to tears.

Washington also needs to be commended for his job as director. I feel that this is his greatest film to date. Antwone Fisher held out as my favorite for a long time but this movie takes the cake. The pacing was on point, not once did I check my phone to see what time it was. He gave August Wilson, the writer of the play and screenwriter for the film, his very best. At end credits, the entire audience applauded and some people gave a standing ovation. That speaks to how moved we were as a group.

P.S. We sat three rows to the back, right in the middle. 😃😃

                                                 


No comments:

Post a Comment