Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Gut and Heart Punch

I have been two for two with seeing good films my last couple of outings. One was an indie and the other a teen flick. These movies are on complete opposite ends of my interests but I loved them both. I felt they accomplished what they were trying to portray and engaged the audience throughout the whole showing.  

First up is Colossal. I invited Kelly out for a late night showing at our local historic theater. We were both tired from work and could barely keep our eyes open as we looked to find seats (to the right and towards the top). It was just us and another couple in there that seemed lost. The film opened with a short film that showed the less appealing aspects of technology. It was hilarious. I wish I could remember what it was called and I'm too lazy to look it up. 

After that, the film started and it completely blew me away. I was expecting a funny slapstick monster movie comedy. Instead, I got a heartfelt, slightly uncomfortable view of an abusive relationship. I won't say how or why but it was handled in such a unique way. Anne Hathaway is such a great actress and she owned that role. I wanted to go back and see it again but it had already left the theater before I had the chance to.  





The latest movie I've seen was Everything Everything. Again, Kelly and I made our way to the cinema. We went on discount Tuesday and smuggled in food from Brown Rice. To make up for our deception, I also bought popcorn and hot dogs for myself. We found seats right in the center and laid back in the recliner seats. There was a good crowd for the early evening showing. As an audience, we were pretty talkative but it improved my movie going experience. The film was so darn cute. I loved the two lead actors. They had amazing chemistry. I really liked the movie but the soundtrack was the real star. I was damn near dancing in my seat while the film was trying to make me feel things. I'm happy I didn't wait for the DVD like I had originally planned to do. This is the feel good movie of the year so far.




No comments:

Post a Comment